Our job as your professional home inspector is to alert you, to the
extent possible, of unknown problems and potential environmental hazards in your current or potential house. Ours is a non-invasive
visual inspection of your property. While we may be able to alert you to possible problems, our basic inspections are no substitutes
for specialized contaminant testing.
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that can be positively
identified only with a special type of microscope. There are several types of asbestos fibers. In the past, asbestos was added
to many products to strengthen them and provide fire resistance and heat insulation. If disturbed, asbestos material may release
fibers which can be inhaled into the lungs. Asbestos material that crumbles easily if handled or which has been scraped, sawed,
or sanded into a powder is more likely to create a health hazard. Breathing high levels of asbestos fibers can lead to an
increased risk of lung cancer, mesothelioma (cancer of lining of chest and abdominal cavity), and asbestosis (lungs scarred
with the tissue). Houses built between 1930 and 1950 may have asbestos insulation. Most of today’s products do not contain
asbestos. If asbestos material is more than slightly damaged or you plan changes that might disturb it, you require a professional
for repair and removal. Before home remodeling, find out if asbestos is present.
Excerpts from U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency “Asbestos and Vermiculite”.
Lead is a highly toxic metal used for many years in products in and around homes. Lead’s adverse health effects range
from behavioral problems and learning disabilities to seizures and death. Because their bodies are growing quickly, children
age 6 and under are at greatest risk. Primary sources of lead exposure for children are deteriorating lead-based paint, lead-contaminated
dust, and lead-contaminated residential soil. Lead might be present in any home built up until the 1940s. Rarely found in
source water, lead can enter tap water through corrosion of plumbing materials. Homes built before 1986 are more likely to
have lead pipes, joints, and solder. New homes are also at risk: even legally “lead-free” pipes can contain
up to 8 percent lead and leave significant amounts of lead in the water for the first several months after installation. Since
the 1980s, EPA and its federal partners have banned or limited lead used in consumer products, including residential paint.
Federal regulations limiting the amount of lead in paint sold for residential use started in 1978. If your property was built
before 1978 or you are considering remodeling, renovating, or repair, you may wish to think about lead inspection. Water quality
can be compromised by such other trace elements as iron, excess acidity, manganese, calcium, magnesium, mineral salts, hydrogen
sulfide, selenium, chromium, arsenic, mercury, and cadmium.
Excerpts from U.S. Department of Environmental
Protection, “Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil”.
Mold (fungi) is present everywhere, indoors and outdoors. There are more than 100,000 species of mold, at least 1,000 of
which are common in America. Species of Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillus are some of the most commonly found species.
Mold most likely grows in bathrooms, basements, and anywhere there is dampness or water. Many types of mold routinely encountered
aren’t hazardous to healthy individuals. Too much exposure to mold may cause a worsening of such conditions as asthma,
hay fever, or other allergies. Fevers and breathing problems in a vulnerable individual are possible but unusual. When moldy
material becomes damaged or disturbed, spores (which are reproductive bodies similar to seeds) can be released into the air.
Exposure can occur if people inhale the spores, directly handle moldy material, or accidentally ingest the spores. Since all
molds need water to grow, mold can grow almost anywhere there is high humidity, dampness, or water damage. Most often molds
are confined to areas near the water source. Removing the source of moisture through repairs or dehumidification is crucial
in preventing mold growth. Correcting underlying water damage and cleaning the affected area is the best way to treat mold.
If mold contamination is extensive, a professional abatement company may be needed. Excerpts from The New York City Department
of Health & Mental Hygiene, Environmental & Occupational Disease Epidemiology, “Facts About Mold”.
Radon is a radioactive gaseous element produced in the disintegration of radium, a radioactive metallic element. It cannot
be detected by the senses and can be confirmed only by sophisticated instruments and laboratory tests. The gas enters
a house through pores and cracks in the concrete or through floorboards of poorly ventilated crawlspaces, especially when
wet ground allows the gas to escape easily through the soil and disperse in the atmosphere. Radon is a lung carcinogen: the
National Academy of Sciences estimates radon causes some 15,000 to 22,000 lung cancer deaths annually. The U.S. Surgeon General
and the EPA recommend all houses be tested for radon. Houses with high radon levels can be fixed.
from U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Indoor Radon”.